The Noble Eightfold Path covers every aspect of life– intellectual, ethical, social, and mental– and thus consists of whatever we need to develop ethically and spiritually, at the same time benefiting ourselves and others.
The steps of the course are:
- Right View: plainly understanding the essential laws of life and the nature of things as they actually are.
- Right Intent: inclining the mind towards unselfishness, benevolence, and compassion.
- Right Speech: avoiding incorrect speech, destructive speech, harsh speech, and idle chatter; speaking truth, promoting harmony, speaking carefully, interacting what is meaningful and beneficial.
- Right Action: avoiding bodily actions that trigger damage and suffering to others, specifically eliminating and violence, theft, and sexually abusive or exploitive conduct.
- Right Livelihood: making one’s enduring a sincere, upright, socially accountable means of income.
- Right Effort: the effort to get rid of unwholesome psychological qualities and to develop and best wholesome qualities.
- Right Mindfulness: establishing clear and exact awareness of one’s own bodily and mental procedures.
- Right Concentration: training the mind to become firm, constant, calm, and collected, untroubled by sidetracking and upseting ideas.